1) Im a problem solver and an introvert, although i love people. Medicine has given me a medium through which to relate to other people in a meaningful way. Being a physician gives me an avenue to create opportunities for problem solving and relationships. Growing up in a humanitarian aid setting also played a huge role as well-
2) Dream job/clinic/schedule
- wake up early to meditate, excercise, plan- unhurriedly get kids out the door school, breakfast with husband, head to the office 2 days /week for 2or 3 client appointments that are unrushed. ive had time to do some reading and thinking about them beforehand so im prepared.meet a friend for lunch- or with my kids at school.
another 2-3 sessions in the afternoon, in person or over skype.
on other days Im at home, doing normal home /family stuff.
my office is quiet, uncluttered, with lots of natural light. comfortable chairs, no clutter. there is free espresso at the common area down the hall.
every 4-6 weeks I will leave town for a 3-10 day stretch to work locums ER or hospitalist. this offers a change of pace, helps me keep my skills up, and gives me time to catch up on reading and other business stuff that needs to get done. also, it pays all the bills so i can let my own practice grow at a natural rate,
3) im excited about the ayurvedic medicine book. im desperate for more tools to be able to help people with. traditional medicine plays such an important role in many situations, but really, *most* people could overcome a majority of their ailments without medication, it just more time and discussion compared to clicking the ”refill” button!
I spent grades 3-12 in india, so many of it ”feels” familiar to me, although i dont know the specifics. so excited to learn more about this and apply it to my own life as well as the people im working with.
4) Im hoping to jump start a mind ”shift” in terms of what kind of physician im going to be. sometimes i feel like if i stop practicing the way i do now- racing around, stressed, hurried, pressured- that i wont know what to fill that newfound ”space” with. Do i have anything to offer? i think i do, but its hard to visualize because its such a foreign concept. im hoping to develop a clearer vision for how it can be. Also, i need to refocus on healing myself- sometimes i dont recognise myself.... surviving on diet pepsi and redbull. yuck😖