NAME: Kendra Campbell
ADDRESS: 296 Forest Hills Drive Luray, VA 22835
www.FreeRangePsych.com (current practice)
www.DoctorPsychoBabble.com (blog that I've kept since psych residency)
www.IslandMedStudent.com (blog that I had during medical school)
http://boards.medscape.com/.29fe2924/ ("The Ink Blot" - Medscape/WebMD blog during psych residency)
http://medscape.typepad.com/thedifferential/kendra_campbell/ and http://blogs.medscape.com/thedifferential ("The Differential" - Medscape/WebMD blog during med school)
www.FacesInBetween.org (a non-profit in NYC that I started)
NOTE: I’m providing somewhat abbreviated responses because I have an 8-week old newborn and she doesn’t approve of me working on my computer and ignoring her! :)
1) What inspired you to become a healer? I was first inspired while working with seriously mentally ill patients as a psychiatric technician in a state psychiatric hospital after college. Mostly, I actually saw a lot of doctors who I didn’t think were doing the best for the patients. I wanted to be the opposite of them!
2) Describe your dream clinic/practice/workspace/job: Non-profit The ability to see all patients, regardless of ability to pay Providing care to a diverse (in many ways) population of patients A community farm with goats and a garden Producing crops or other things to sell and help support the programs Groups Goat yoga! Walking distance from my home Telemedicine in my PJs Having my family involved Healing people through real, meaningful connections House calls
3) Describe your dream life:
Spending as much time as possible with my family Working less than 40 hours a week with flexible hours Traveling with my family Lots of time for running and being outdoors Cooking meals for my family with fruits and veggies from my garden Feeling fulfilled and at peace
4) What book are you most excited about and why?
Your Money or Your Life - I have an extraordinary amount of student loan debt and an unhealthy relationship with money. I’m really excited about finding a way to handle my debt and live a life without student loan debt handcuffs!
5) What are you hoping to take away from this course? Inspiration. Ideas. Courage. And a more concrete plan for converting my current practice into a non-profit, changing it more into my dream practice, and figuring out how to obtain student debt loan forgiveness through the PSLF program, if possible!
6) LAUNCH DATES
Free Range Psychiatry (sole proprietorship) - 1/2/18
Free Range Psychiatry Inc. (non-profit) - goal is 10/27/18