NAME: Kendra Campbell
ADDRESS: 296 Forest Hills Drive Luray, VA 22835
www.FreeRangePsych.com (current practice)
www.DoctorPsychoBabble.com (blog that I've kept since psych residency)
www.IslandMedStudent.com (blog that I had during medical school)
http://boards.medscape.com/.29fe2924/ ("The Ink Blot" - Medscape/WebMD blog during psych residency)
http://medscape.typepad.com/thedifferential/kendra_campbell/ and http://blogs.medscape.com/thedifferential ("The Differential" - Medscape/WebMD blog during med school)
www.FacesInBetween.org (a non-profit in NYC that I started)
NOTE: I’m providing somewhat abbreviated responses because I have an 8-week old newborn and she doesn’t approve of me working on my computer and ignoring her! :)
1) What inspired you to become a healer? I was first inspired while working with seriously mentally ill patients as a psychiatric technician in a state psychiatric hospital after college. Mostly, I actually saw a lot of doctors who I didn’t think were doing the best for the patients. I wanted to be the opposite of them!
2) Describe your dream clinic/practice/workspace/job: Non-profit The ability to see all patients, regardless of ability to pay Providing care to a diverse (in many ways) population of patients A community farm with goats and a garden Producing crops or other things to sell and help support the programs Groups Goat yoga! Walking distance from my home Telemedicine in my PJs Having my family involved Healing people through real, meaningful connections House calls
3) Describe your dream life:
Spending as much time as possible with my family
Working less than 40 hours a week with flexible hours
Traveling with my family
Lots of time for running and being outdoors
Cooking meals for my family with fruits and veggies from my garden
Feeling fulfilled and at peace
4) What book are you most excited about and why?
Your Money or Your Life - I have an extraordinary amount of student loan debt and an unhealthy relationship with money. I’m really excited about finding a way to handle my debt and live a life without student loan debt handcuffs!
5) What are you hoping to take away from this course? Inspiration. Ideas. Courage. And a more concrete plan for converting my current practice into a non-profit, changing it more into my dream practice, and figuring out how to obtain student debt loan forgiveness through the PSLF program, if possible!
6) LAUNCH DATES
Free Range Psychiatry (sole proprietorship) - 1/2/18
Free Range Psychiatry Inc. (non-profit) - goal is 10/27/18
I LOVE that you are able to look into your soul by reading some of your previous writing. So precious. Can't wait to look through yours (and mine)! I highly encourage everyone to START JOURNALING TODAY if you haven't. So helpful in finding your true soul and purpose.
Found this on my walk today:
You are so inspiring, Dr. Campbell! I just now updated my introduction and got it posted to the right place (haha!), and the updated version is largely thanks to you, because learning that you are rocking the type of practice I have only dreamed of rocketed me into a semi-manic state of excitement about a practice I could launch in Wyoming. I can't wait to hear what you think... Also, I have a dream of someday having a place where we can all live together (mentally ill included), gardening together to keep the facility afloat, and am also really into the idea of doing both goat and cat yoga. It is so weird and awesome to find people like you and Kayla who share my same dreams, kind of blowing my mind right now.
What?! You ALSO already have a non-profit?? I'm like floored and amazed. Haha
thanks I’ll check it out! :)
Wow! Love all these ideas. Kendra by the way that book that really helped me with a newborn was Anne Lammott's Operating Instructions: My Son's First Year.